Why do we struggle with negotiating
– better pay
– better terms
– better deals
– better outcomes
The answer is straightforward:
If you can’t afford to walk away, you can’t negotiate
As the theme with most of my posts, this again is something much harder to execute than think about.
So here are we again.
How to let go of the fear of walking away?
And there are types of leverage:
Need people to sign up for your newsletter?
– Need leverage of past shared knowledge
Need new jobs to give you a better package?
– Need leverage of good work experience
Need people to pay to talk to you?
– Need leverage of renowned wisdom
Need people to understand you better?
– Need leverage of communication
One more for funsies, need clients to stop scope creeping on your projects
– Need leverage of documentation
See what happened here? It’s called unlocking a new perspective.
When you look at negotiations as an exchange of leverages, getting a better deal is a piece of a very complex cake.
But this being posts above helping people’s careers grow, you must be wondering –
Saqib, I have none of the things listed above, how can I negotiate better?
Well, you have the most important thing then, your time!
Learn to leverage your time –
– Instead of working a contract for cheaper, ask to work less for a fixed amount of time and then expect better terms
– Instead of randomly easy applying for jobs on Linkedin, take the time to learn a skillset
– Instead of seeking entertainment all the time, seek knowledge in profitable domains
If you don’t have the leverage of knowledge, experience, or wisdom — then you are (probably) young — put the time in.
Your time, with time, becomes your leverage.
Keep at it!
I am a Tech-Driven Product Manager who enables your business to deliver software – better than ever before.
The fields of Product Management, Business Operations, and Consumer Tech drive me forward. A Decade of executing successful projects along with hands-on experience of 10,000+ hours in IT, Software Development, and SaaS –
I help great People build greater Products